Yuri Gagarin State Technical University of Saratov (SSTU), one of the leading technical higher schools in Russia, will host ICIT-2019. SSTU, founded in 1930, is among top 12 of the leading Russian technical universities with more than 25000 students. It includes 8 institutes, 5 colleges, 2 affiliated branches in Saratov Region and employs 3000 of academic staff. In 2017 SSTU was elected as a Russian flagship university responsible for the preparation of engineers for the Volga region. SSTU's innovation flagship project took 28th place among the 195 Russian universities in December 2017.
SSTU offers education in more than 65 fields for BSc, MSc, PhD degrees. SSTU has been actively involved in EU international cooperation programs such as TEMPUS and ERASMUS+, in projects supported by IREX, Eurasia, Open University, Bridge. Due to the effective relations and international training of specialists SSTU is recognized as one of the prominent centers of international cooperation in provincial Russia.
SSTU is very well prepared to perform various challenging tasks of conference organization. Meeting rooms and conference halls of various capacity are located close to each other which makes it easy to perform simultaneous sessions attended by people interested in multiple aspects covered by the ICIT-2019 presentations. All facilities are ready for hosting ICIT-2019 authors and audience with all necessary technical, audio, video and computer equipment.
Saratov is a major city in southern Russia. It is the administrative center of Saratov Oblast and a major port on the Volga River. Population: 845,300 (2017 census); 904,643 (1989 Census). In addition to ethnic Russians, the city also has many Tatar, Ukrainian, Jewish and German residents.
According to legend, Saratov is the successor of Gelonus, a Scythian city that was the northernmost colony of the Greeks, and which is conjectured to have existed near the present-day city. Gelonus is mentioned in the Sixth Book of the Histories of Herodotus, according to which the city was burnt to the ground by the Persian Emperor Darius in 512 B.C. Ukek, a medieval outpost of the Golden Horde is considered a more likely ancestor to today's Saratov.
The modern city traces its history to the reign of Tsar Feodor Ivanovich, who constructed several settlements along the Volga river in order to secure the southeastern boundary of his state. During the summer of 1586 the fortress of Samara was founded, followed by Tsaritsyn in 1589 and finally Saratov, located midway between Samara and Tsaritsyn, in 1590. Saratov was built at the insistence of count Grigory Zasekin. All three forts were located in a region where the Volga and the Don flow nearest one another, which allowed the Duchy of Moscovy to secure both rivers and to insure control over the recently annexed khanates of Kazan and Astrakhan in the years following the Livonian War.
The future town's buildings were constructed in the upper reaches of the Volga a full year prior to the in foundation of Saratov. In the spring of 1590 the constructions were disassembled, each log was marked, and the entire town was delivered to its destination via the river. This method allowed the town to be built in its entirety in just a few weeks.
The name Saratov may derive from the Turkic words Saryk Atov which means "hawks' island". Another version of the name origin is "Sary Tau" meaning Yellow Mountain in the Tatar language, a theory supported by the presence of sandy hills around the city.
By the 1800s Saratov had grown to become an important shipping port on the Volga. The Ryazan-Ural Railroad reached Saratov in 1870. In 1896 (26 years later) the line crossed the Volga and continued its eastward expansion. A unique train-ferry, owned by the Ryazan-Ural railroad, provided the connection between the two parts of this railroad on opposite banks of the river for 39 years before the construction of a railway bridge, in 1935.
During the World War II Saratov was a station on the North-South Volzhskaya Rokada, a specially designated military railroad providing troops, ammunition and supplies to Stalingrad.
Until the end of the Soviet Union in 1991, Saratov was designated a "closed city", that is, strictly off limits to all foreigners due to its military importance. This was due to the presence of a vital military aircraft manufacturing facility in the city.
Saratov is an important city in the history of the Volga Germans. Until 1941, the town of Pokrovsk, today Engels, located just across the Volga from Saratov, served as the capital of the Volga German Republic. The German population of the region numbered 800,000 in the early 20th century.
The Volga German community included industrialists, scientists, musicians and architects, including those who built Saratov's universities and conservatories. At the outbreak of World War II, roughly half of all Volga Germans were expelled to Siberia and Kazakhstan, with few returning to the region after rehabilitation. Beginning in the 1980s, a large portion of the community emigrated to Germany, but several reminders of the once prominent place of Germans in the city remains, with the Roman Catholic St. Klementy Cathedral (seat of the Diocese of Tiraspol) on Nemetskaya Street , being the most notable.
The Saratov region is highly industrialized, due in part to the rich in natural and industrial resources of the area. The region is also one of the more important and largest cultural and scientific centres in Russia. Saratov possesses six institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 21 research institutes, 19 project institutes, as well as the Saratov State University, the Saratov State Socio-Economic University, the Saratov State Technical University, and many scientific and technological laboratories attached to some of the city's large industrial enterprises.
Saratov is served by Saratov Tsentralny Airport and main railway station Saratov 1.
Director of the Institute of Applied Information Technology and Communication
+7 8452 998715
Deputy director for research of the Institute of Applied Information Technology and Communication
+7 8452 998718
International Relations manager of the Institute of Applied Information Technology and Communication
+7 8452 998667